Saturday, July 31, 2010

Geocaching!!

Friday I took the kids and my little brother on a little adventure! We went treasure hunting for a geocache. (Side note: Geocaching is when you use latitude and longitude coordinates inputted into your GPS to find a cache hidden by someone. www.geocaching.com)
I picked one that was super easy, no hiking through tick filled fields for us! The coordinates took us to the end of a road, that actually dropped off into a ravine. I knew it had to be just right there where the road ended. I told the kids to look for a very small box. The listing had said that it was very small. We looked around for about 5 minutes, in the hot sun. Finally we discovered a film canister ziptied to the back of the rail guard. Inside we found slips of paper that listed of names and dates of the geocachers that had come before us. We signed our names and declared that it was lots of fun and we plan to do it again. The kids want to find one that actually has more than just a slip of paper in it next time.
Even though the GPS told us where to go, I had the kids tell me which way was right or left and to watch for the highway signs that we needed to turn at, so they felt like they were leading us there.

1 comment:

  1. I love geocaching! Except I haven't done it forever! I need to get back into it. Glad you are getting out.

    ReplyDelete