Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Christmas Craft Contribution

I saw this in an antique/rummage store and I thought "I can make that at home!"


Our neighbors invited us to a Christmas party at the their house last night and this is what I made to bring them. They had a theme of a Christmas tree in every room, so I thought this was appropriate
.
Side note: Their house was THE most elaborately decorated house I have ever seen. They literally did have a Christmas tree in EVERY room, not just small ones but several full-sized-straight-from-the-Bloomingdales-catalog ones! The one in the front room spun and the one upstairs in the loft had a train track halfway up with a little train that went round and round. (Ethan loved this one.) It all would've made Martha Stewart proud.  Every nook and cranny of the house had some sort of holiday decor. It was all very posh too, we didn't dare put Clark down. They had even hired a guy to play their piano. It was crazy! And this was the neighborhood Christmas party, not like their close friends.

Back to the craft...

So this is what I used (pictured below):
Pieces of foam (that come in sheets) red, green and white
Patterns of circles that are successively smaller (I used 11 round cookies cutters from Williams-Sonoma)
Scissors
Wooden skewers
Small holiday box (2 for $1 at Micheal's)
Small twig balls painted silver (also from Michael's)

The supplies

I pressed the cookie cutter circles onto the foam, which made an imprint, then I cut it out. Starting with the smallest circle, I speared the skewer through the center, then proceeded with the next larger circle and so on. I left about and inch of skewer at the top for the silver ball. My pattern was white, red, then green. Once all of the circles were on the skewer, I poked "the tree" into the little holiday box and place the ball on top. I put a little cardstock tag on a ribbon and tied at the base of the tree. Taa Daa!

Feel free to use this idea and make it your own.  The one that I saw at the store was made out of cardstock or old Christmas cards instead of foam.

Clark liked it too.

2 comments:

  1. That's so neat, Janelle! So... is it really delicate? It seems like the skewer would come out of the box so easily. Did you do anything extra to hold it all together?

    It's fun to be invited to at least one Martha Stewartish party. And one Clark Griswold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how creative, love it! ... on a side comment: seriously, one tree per room?! that's amazing (a little much) but still amazing!

    ReplyDelete