I was watching my kids play today and the term reckless abandon came to mind. They are so free, so unencumbered. It made me wonder: Is there anything in my life that I approach with reckless abandon?
Webster's define them as:
reckless: utterly unconcerned about consequences
abandon: a complete surrender to natural impulses without restraint or moderation
Is there any situation that it is appropriate for adults to acts this way? Shouldn't I love my children, my husband, my God with reckless abandon? I think it is more than "what will people think if I act this way", I think it is being true to the way you feel. It's ironic because I feel like I am teaching my children deny this behavior and act as society expects. Obviously, I do not want them to eat their meal at a restaurant with reckless abandon. But I want them to love and enjoy life.
Hebrews 12:1 says :
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
What hinders me from loving and living with reckless abandon? I do not have any answers for this right now, but I am more aware of it. I need to learn from my children, before the get too old! It may take baby steps, but I would like to live some aspects of my life with reckless abandon.
Beautiful and thought provoking post!
ReplyDeleteThought provoking, yes!
ReplyDeleteMy quick response would be that my natural impulses are sinful in nature. Do what "feels" right at the moment. It's what our society teaches! There are consequences to those action and as a loving parent we can only guide our kids to make good choices. Just as our loving Father gives us scripture to guide us not to restrain us or control us because He knows what is best for us.
Reckless abandon as an adult should only be excersised to show LOVE. Scripture speaks that love is the only debt we should have.