Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Farm Fresh Eggs!

I just bought my first farm fresh eggs!

I love how they are all different colors and sizes.

I've driven down this particular highway numerous times (it's a road used to get to the main highway and then to civilization.) and there has always been a sign that reads Farm Fresh Eggs in one of the yards along the road. Well, two days ago I finally got my nerve up and went to the house with all three kids in tow. I pulled in around the back of the house and an old dog slowly hobbled to our vehicle. My kids were already asking if they could pet him before I opened the door.
A man was backing a tractor out of his barn, then he climbed out and yelled "Can I help you?" (Please interject your best hillbilly accent here.) With my children hiding behind my legs and a baby on my hip, I yelled back, "I was wondering if you had any eggs today?" He responded that they were back in the barn and turned to walk in there. I supposed I should follow him and we all walked toward the barn. He reemerged with two dozen eggs. Ethan pointed out the chickens and the farmer said (please remember the accent) "Yeah, those are the stupid chickens. There's a rooster over there that's going to get shot." Now, is this really what you tell small children?
As we were heading back to the car, we walked past the tractor. It was HUGE! Just the tire was like 5 feet tall. Ethan then pointed up at the tractor and the farmer says, "You want to get on?" So, he opens the door and lifts Ethan up onto the first step. Emma says she wants to get on too. The kids sit down in cab and then right before the guy turns the engine on, I hear Emma say "I don't want to drive." The thing was so LOUD. He ran it for  minute then helped the kids climb back down. He tells them when they come back he'll take them out for a ride on his other tractor. Should I think that he's just a friendly farming grandfatherly type or creeped out?
Anyway, the picture above is the eggs we got that day and it is not your imagination, two of the eggs are green. How cool is that? I really feel good about supporting local farms and feeding my kids fresher foods, especially in the wake of this egg recall. Our eggs don't have salmonella just a little chicken poop and an occasional feather.

2 comments:

  1. i really did lol - did the kids have bad dreams about dead chickens?!

    Im jealous of your fresh eggs...heck, id take fresh anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! The whole story is funny... and you'll have to tell us if you go back and take him up on the tractor ride...

    ReplyDelete